This ride just got bumpy


I am sitting in my office trying to get some work done and I think how the last time I sat here was right before Christmas vacation. It is crazy to think how your life can be transformed so quickly. Three weeks ago, I was busy thinking about our planned vacation, working on a budget to put more in savings and possibly selling our house this upcoming year. I definitely wasn’t thinking that we would spend the beginning portion of 2015 in a hospital room. And so as I sit in my office grading, responding to emails, looking at our health insurance and praying that my job allows me to have some sort of flexible hours I can’t help but think of our plane ride home yesterday.

I hate flying. There was a point in my life where I was on a plane twice a month and even though I did it often, I absolutely hated it. I hate taking off. I hate landing. And I definitely hate the turbulence. And even though I know the pilot is trained with thousands of miles of experience it is hard sometimes to just sit and have confidence that the pilot knows what he is doing, especially when it the plane is bumpy with turbulence. Yesterday as we took off, I closed my eyes and reminded myself that the pilot knew far more than I did. While I just saw the seat in front of me, the pilot has so many tools at his hands.

As I sit in here in my office, I can’t help but think of the pilot who is in control of my life. The ride just got bumpy. The turbulence came with no warning. The sea and the waves started crashing and I feel like I was not ready. I definitely did not think this would ever be a chapter in our life. But it is.

And I feel like the disciples when the storm came, they went to the bottom of the boat and found Jesus sleeping. They woke him up, scared because of the waves they saw around them. But Jesus remained calm. Cancer. Complicated. Medication. Medical Bills. Disability. Time off. These are all words we have heard over the last few days. The waves in front of us appear so high. The turbulence a little scary. The mountain almost impossible to climb.

Yet our pilot is in control. He knows what He is doing. This storm does not scare him. These waves do not cause Him confusion. This turbulence is not affecting Him. He is in control. As much as I would want the storm to pass, I know that at the end of every rain is a great harvest. I know that when the storm passes, a rainbow appears. I know that  the fruit begins to bloom after the storm.

And so when I am tempted to worry. When I am tempted to get scared. When I am tempted to break down, I cast my eyes on the Lord. I place my hope in Him. I place my confidence in Him. I place my trust in Him.

And I praise Him because He is good. He is God. He is my fortress. He is my rock. He is my ever present help in the midst of a storm. He is my comforter. He is my provider. He is my deliverer. He is our healer.

He spoke life into existence. He parted the Red Sea. He made the walls of Jericho come down. He used a woman. He used an orphan. He used a prostitute. He delivered the 3 Hebrew boys from the fiery pit. He delivered Daniel from a Lion’s mouth. He healed. He raised the dead. He multiplied.

And He calmed the sea. He is working right now. We may not see the plan. We may not understand the full purpose. We may not even understand.

But we believe Him for the healing.

If you are going through something right now, if the waves are crashing around you. If the plane ride just got bumpy, I encourage you to put your trust in the Pilot. He knows what He is doing. He knows where He is going. He knows where this plane is going to land. There are times when the turbulence is necessary, however we trust that God is going to land this plane safely and the destination is going to be amazing.

We praise God for the end result. We praise God for the healing. We praise God for the comfort. We praise God for His provision. We praise God for every good thing that is going to come out of this.

He is God. And He is God alone!

Comments