Just because you don’t see it



I love the story of Esther. It is a short book in the Bible, but there are so many lessons that can be gained from reading the story. We typically focus on Esther, but today I want to talk about Mordecai. Mordecai was Esther’s cousin and he raised Esther when her parent’s died. After Esther was taken into the king’s palace, Mordecai discovered a plot to kill the king. He told Esther about this plot, and she relayed it to her husband. The individuals who plotted against the king were killed, and the story was recorded in the book of the chronicles. Some time passed, maybe weeks, maybe months, maybe years. The king promoted Haman to a high position, and Haman demanded that everyone bow to him. Moredecai refused and Haman was outraged. Haman plotted to destroy all of the Jews. Mordecai sent a message to Esther, essentially telling her that she needed to go to the king. Esther declared that she would, even if she perished, she would go to the king. Haman hated Mordecai so much that he continued his plot against him and had gallows built with the purpose of having Mordecai hanged on it.

The story is not over, but I will take a pause. There are times in our life that our situation is completely out of our control. Currently, my expenses exceed my income. My husband has not worked since we went on vacation in December and his last paycheck was at the end of the year. The medical bills continue to come in the mail. And it is a situation out of my control. There is nothing I can do to fix this situation. It literally is an impossibility for me. If you are reading this blog, I am pretty sure you also have a situation that is impossible for you. You might find yourself in a financial situation like myself, or your situation may be different. It may be that your husband is not serving God, or your marriage is struggling. It may be that you have tried for so long to get pregnant but you still don’t have a child. It may be that you are stuck in a job you can’t stand but doors aren’t opening. It may be that you received promise years ago, but that promise still hasn’t come to pass. It may be a health situation. It may be that you are not in this country legally. It may be you have a dream but you don’t have the resources to fulfill that dream. Whatever the case your situation is too big for you.

Let’s return to Mordecai for a second. The plot was made against Mordecai. At the same time Esther had gone to the king and asked for a banquet and invited Haman to that banquet. The king granted Esther’s request. That night the king could not sleep, so he had the book of chronicles brought to him (accident…I think not!) The king read the book and read the story of how Mordecai revealed the plot. He asked his servants if Mordecai had been rewarded and his servants said no. The king went to Haman and asked him what should be done for a man whom the king delights in. Haman thought the king was talking about himself so he suggested that the king parade this man around and so the king made Haman parade Mordecai around. Haman was furious. Long story short, Haman’s plot was revealed and he was killed on the gallows and the Jewish people were saved.

The point of the story is that Mordecai’s life and the life of the Jewish people were threatened. Their situation was out of their control. It was an impossibility for them. However, God was working on the situation even though they did not see the situation changing. While Haman was devising his plot and thinking that the Jewish people would be destroyed, God was working and arranging things so that His people would live.

The same is true for us. We may not see our situation changing, but God is working on it. Things may be impossible for us, but nothing is impossible for God.  It is so easy for us (or at least me) to mentally think about how the situation could change. It is so easy for us (or at least me) to give God suggestions on how he can change my situation. I have my ideas of how I think things should be done. As I was praying about our financial situation yesterday, I felt God was just reminding me “Kimberli, I am in control. I will work it out. You may not see the situation changing, but I am working on it.” Our financial situation is literally an impossibility for me. I was never good at math, but when I add my income and then when I add our regular expenses

Expenses>income

There have been times before when this has happened. When I was going to college, I was barely working and my expenses did  exceed my income. I used to get random checks in the mail. My car payment was mysteriously paid for 3 months. When my husband first went back to work after my daughter was born ( He stayed at home when Malachi was a baby) our expenses also exceeded our income. There was a time when we got a random check in the mail from our mortgage company that was pretty much what I made a month.  I give those examples, because in my own mind, I am thinking, “God that is how you did things in the past for me, can’t you do things like that again?”

But God is telling me, “Stop looking at what I have done before. Stop trying to figure out how things are going to work out. Stop worrying. You may not see your situation changing, but I have it all under control.” This is a lesson for those who are reading this blog. It is so easy to look at how God has done things for other people, or how He has done things in the past but God is not confined to one way of doing things. Just because He is not doing things the way you think they should be done, doesn’t mean He isn’t working.


And so I encourage you today, as I encourage myself, God is working. You may not see it but your situation will not remain the same. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why the church doesn't need any more coffee bars

All is well

Heaven just gained an amazing man (Melchor Lira 1985-2017)