He is able

Nobody ever thinks cancer is going to strike their home.

In December my husband and I boarded a plane to go on a family vacation to California. We were excited to see my family and to enjoy the time together as a family. I took many pictures and documented our experience on my social media sites.

Getting ready to board our plane for our family vacation to California.

I had no idea that when we returned home a week later than scheduled, our life would be completely different. I am a planner. And I had my life planned out. I had a 6 month savings plan to get a down payment ready for our new house. I had a three month get the house ready to sell plan. I had a plan for my husband's schooling. I had a plan for everything! 

Yet the diagnosis of cancer threw all of my plans out of the window.


We had no idea when we took this family picture that just a few days later we would be in the emergency room and that my husband would be told he had cancer.

And it is so easy when our plans get destroyed to get frustrated and to be upset. It is so easy to question why everything seems to be turned upside down. It is so easy to wonder if you had done anything wrong. While it is easy to do that, it is so important to trust in God and to trust in God's power and ability.

I don't know why cancer struck our family. I don't know why my 29 year old husband has to endure months and months of chemotherapy. I don't know why my 4 year old son and 3 year old daughter have to endure weeks where their daddy is not at home. I don't know. 

But I do know that I serve a God who is capable of doing anything. This has been a very difficult few months and I do dread that we are only in the beginning and that there are many more months to go. I have shed many tears and have been exhausted beyond description. It is hard. It is lonely. 

But my faith in God has never wavered. While I do not understand why cancer struck our home, our feet have been planted and we our trust has remained in the One who created the heavens and the earth. We have declared and we will continue to declare that He is God and He is good. Even though the situation looks bleak in our eyes, we have had so much confidence because we know that God is not worried. We know He is not stressing out about what we are facing. And we know that He was not surprised on December 30th when the doctors told us my husband has cancer.

My husband in the hospital in California.


We can walk in confidence because God is so real in our lives. We know that we serve a God of love. We know we serve a God who gave His own life for humanity. We know we serve a God who loves His children. And so even though the storm is raging in our life, we have confidence in God. 

And we know He is able. We know and we truly believe that good is going to come out of this situation. I don't know the specifics of exactly what God is doing, but I know God is doing something. And I know God is good. I have found no greater joy than the joy that comes with serving God. I am amazed at the love that God has for me. 

There will be times during this journey that I will cry. There will be times when I will be exhausted beyond description. There will be times when I will feel alone. But I will continue to praise God during those times. And I will continue to worship God. 

He is able!

Comments