When your dreams are shattered

The dream house I fell in love with is pending sale. My heart is a little broken. And I know that given our current situation, some people may not understand why I am heartbroken over a sold house. But this sale represents my shattered dreams. In November of last year my husband and I were beginning to save money and were planning on putting our home up for sale at the beginning of the year.  We were also excited because after 3 years of going to school full time at the community college my husband was applying for admission to 4 year universities. In addition, my husband was given a nice raise at work and I had my dream job of working at home. Everything seemed to be going so well.

Then in December the diagnosis of cancer hit us. And my dreams were shattered. The plans I had devised for our life seem to be falling apart. The dream house that is pending sale. Transferring to a 4 year university in the fall. The financial stability. Shattered. Shattered. Shattered.

Obviously our focus is on my husband's health. But those shattered dreams represent how different our life is going to be for quite some time.

And so we are faced with the question "What do we do when our dreams are shattered?"

We continue to serve God. We continue to live for God. We continue to trust God. We continue to praise God.

Because although my dreams have been shattered, and although my plans do not seem to be coming to pass the way I want them to, I am confident because the Lord is still in control. I can rest because I know that God has a plan and purpose for my life. Even when my dreams are shattered I have confidence  because God's plans will still be fulfilled. And I guess our dreams should be shattered. As hard as it is when that happens, I would much rather have the plans God has for my life prevail than the plans I have created for myself. 

 (The hospital is not part of my plan, but I know God is able to do all things!)


I don't like the situation that we are facing. I don't like that cancer is a reality for our family. I don't like that my husband has to endure chemotherapy. I don't like any of this, but I take rest in the scriptures. And I know that God knows every day of our life. I know that there is nothing that surprises Him. While we were shocked by the diagnosis and everything that has come with the diagnosis, God is in control.

And so I am content that my dreams have been shattered. I am okay that the plans I have created for my life are not coming to pass. Because I know that God will not leave us during this time. And I know according to scripture, that God's purpose will still be fulfilled. I know that even though my dreams have been shattered, God's plans for my life are still great!

While you may not be faced with the diagnosis of cancer, you may find yourself in the same position that we are, your dreams have been shattered. I want to encourage you to keep your eyes on God. Even if the plans you have created for your life don't seem to be coming to pass, you can have confidence that God is in control and that He will see you through. The things you have imagined for your life might not come to pass, but God's plans and ways are so much better than the things we have designed for ourselves. 


Draw encouragement from these verse just as I have:

Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts neither are your ways my ways. For as the heavens are higher than the earth so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Proverbs 19:21 (NLT) "You can make many plans, but the LORD's purpose will prevail."

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and future."

Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose"

Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why the church doesn't need any more coffee bars

All is well

Heaven just gained an amazing man (Melchor Lira 1985-2017)