It was worth the wait

29...

That is how old I was when I got married. Throughout my twenties I witnessed friend after friend of mine enter into relationships and get married and I remained single. I witnessed those younger than me dating and I remained single.

But it was worth the wait. Every day that I was single was worth it because God has blessed me with an amazing husband.


My husband may be sick with cancer, but he is still the best dad! Every day I was single was worth the wait, because has truly blessed me with an amazing man!

We live in a relationship inundated society. Magazine articles focus on relationships. Television shows and movies focus on relationships. Songs focus on relationships. Many times the message that is conveyed is a message that is contrary to the word of God. Society tells us to date around. Society tells us it is okay to have sex before marriage. Society tells us if it is not working to discard it. All of these are lies. Society also does a great job convincing those who are in their 20's, 30's and 40's that if they are single something is wrong with them. Society (which may include family members, friends, co-workers and church members) will tell a single person that they are getting old and something must be wrong that they are not in a relationship.

Society will ask "Are you dating anyone?" "Why aren't you married yet?" "Do you think you are being too picky?" Well meaning questions that are so contrary to God's will.

29....

That is the age I got married. Many people probably wondered if and when the day would come. To some 29 is old. But every day I was single was worth the wait because God has blessed me with an amazing husband.

Some people have a false sense of what a relationship entails. They think of marriage as endless date nights, romantic dinners, elaborate gifts and while a marriage may involve all of those things, marriages also experience hard times. There might be unemployment, differences of opinion, sicknesses, etc and those are all reasons why it is worth waiting.

Some people jump into a relationship because they can't fathom the thought of being single any longer and in doing so they compromise. They compromise their values. They compromise the Word of God. They compromise the things that are so important. They compromise in order to be in a relationship. But hard times are going to come and if you based a relationship on compromise, that relationship might fracture and break.

But if you wait when the hard times come, your relationship will be centered. Your relationship will be solid. Your relationship will have a strong foundation.

I am so glad I waited. I am so thankful for every day I was single because had I compromised I might have missed out on who God had for me. I am thankful that even though every year I got older and did not have a suitor in sight, I didn't begin too look outside my faith. I am thankful that even though others around me were dating and getting married, I didn't begin to compromise my values. I am thankful that even though people asked "When I was going to get married?" I continued to wait. Because it was worth the wait.

May I encourage you to wait on the Lord. It doesn't matter how old you think you are getting, it doesn't matter what well-meaning people may say. It doesn't matter what society tries to feed into you mind. Wait on God. Because one day you will be sending out wedding invitations. One day you will be planning your wedding. One day you will be starting your marriage and you will declare

It was worth the wait....


Comments